MINDFULNESS FOR SCHOOLS – coping with the stresses of school, study and life
The pressure of school and study, on top of the new world of adolescence, means that students, often for the first time in their lives, find themselves confronted with challenging and uncomfortable situations. The need to be able to deal with these challenges is paramount, both for academic success and to be able to feel good about life.
Similarly, teachers also face great challenges as teacher and mentor. The pressures and demands of students often get transferred onto the teachers, who have to deal with their own challenges as well as the demands of their students. It can be a stressful role.
Mindfulness for schools is a presentation that gives students and teachers a simple yet powerful tool to effectively and healthily deal with the challenges they face, and to be able to perform at their best. It demonstrates how a dedicated daily practice works, and the benefits it provides, as well as how Mindfulness can be used moment-to-moment, every day, to stay on top of life’s challenges, and make better, healthier choices.
Scientific studies have shown that practising Mindfulness leads to a decrease in activity in the part of the brain associated with stress, anxiety and anger, and an increase in activity in the part of the brain associated with happiness, peace and calm. As well as a tool to help deal with life’s challenges, Mindfulness actually increases levels of happiness and calm by its effect on the brain.
Scientific studies have also shown that practising Mindfulness strengthens the immune system, meaning that students and teachers are less likely to miss days of school.
Mindfulness for schools:
- Introduces Mindfulness, the principals and theory.
- Discusses the health benefits of Mindfulness, including less stress, improved health, greater sense of calm and control and a tool to effectively deal with life’s challenges.
- Explores the scientific evidence of its benefits.
- Looks at how Mindfulness can be applied in real life situations, including the difference between structured practice and moment-to-moment Mindfulness.
- Gives students and teachers a practical experience of Mindfulness.
Benefits of the program
Students and teachers gain:
- An understanding of the principals, theory and practice of Mindfulness, including the scientific evidence of its health benefits.
- A simple and highly effective tool for dealing with stress, anxiety and challenging situations.
- Increased levels of calm.
- Decrease levels of stress and anxiety.
- A happier disposition.
- Greater resilience.
- Improved concentration and attention.
- Improved ability to manage emotions – greater emotional intelligence.
- Increased self-awareness.
- Ability to manage thoughts and maintain a positive attitude.
- Stronger and healthier relationships.
Mindfulness for schools can be delivered as a larger group presentation or smaller group workshop. There is flexibility to run it as a 45 minute presentation, or a longer workshop, depending on the requirements of the school. Please contact us to discuss your school’s specific needs.